Photo copyright Jon Crispin 2011. www.joncrispin.com

Photo copyright Jon Crispin 2011
www.joncrispin.com

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Impulse items

I went to the grocery store today and came out with the two items on my shopping list. Those two items and nothing more. So? you say. Well, it was a major victory for me. I hate shopping. I hate shopping because I can't control the impulse buying that goes along with shopping. I'm a simple copyeditor, and ranged against me are leagues of psychologists and marketing experts perfectly aware of how to appeal to my baser impulses. I went to Trader Joe's once to buy a pound of basmati rice, and it cost me $43 and change. I have zero control over the lure of bright colors and siren images. The only way I made out alive today was that I dashed in and dashed out and didn't look at anything but what I wanted to buy. This is why I buy online. I can find the one item I want, buy it and log off. I'm sure the time will come when the PhDs and marketing experts find a way to hypnotize me into impulse shopping online, too; for now it's my refuge.

No comments:

Post a Comment